In warm tropical countries, where tender coconuts are easily available, doctors often recommend a minimum of one glass of coconut water a day for pregnant women. There are many essential nutrients in coconut water, and it has the same level of electrolytic balance that we have in our blood. Coconut water is also naturally sterile. In general, coconut water is very healthy but is even more beneficial during pregnancy. Coconut helps to maintain good health of the mother and the growing fetus. Listed below are the various health benefits of drinking coconut water during pregnancy.
Health Benefits of Drinking Coconut Water in Pregnancy
Tender coconut water is known as the richest source of electrolytes, and hence is greatly recommended for people who are suffering from any illness. It also contains high amounts of chlorides, potassium, and magnesium and moderate amounts of sugar, sodium and protein. Potassium from drinking coconut water can help to regulate blood pressure and heart function. It is also an excellent source of dietary fiber, manganese, calcium, riboflavin and Vitamin C.The following are some of the reasons why coconut water for a pregnant lady is advised:
- Coconut water is a natural isotonic beverage. It helps in replenishing fluid and natural salt loss that has occurred in the body. Coconut water, thus, can greatly prevent dehydration and exhaustion.
- It is essentially fat free and is known as a zero cholesterol beverage. Coconut water is also supposed to have a positive effect for raising the level of HDL, the good cholesterol level present in the body. This can together help to keep high cholesterol levels under check.
- Coconut water is greatly known for strengthening the immune system. As coconut water is rich in lauric acid, it can have anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Such properties can greatly help to strengthen the immune system of the mother and the growing fetus, and greatly prevent infections of flu, HIV, herpes, etc.
- Another great health benefit of coconut water is that it helps to prevent and treat heartburn. Coconut water effectively helps in cleaning intestinal worms and the digestive tract. This can alleviate pregnant women from heartburn and constipation.
- Mostly women suffer from urinary tract infection (UTI). Being a natural diuretic, coconut water can help to increase the flow and frequency of the urine. Thus, coconut water benefits in flushing out toxins out of the body easily, thus preventing urinary tract infection.
- Coconut water is a natural and safe source to hydrate the body, and allows easy digestion, and it’s free of chemicals and contains high amount of electrolytes.
- Coconut water is light and can even help in weight loss. One cup of coconut water contains 46 calories only, as coconut water is 95% water.
Coconut water in general has many health benefits, and is a great source to be replenish the body’s electrolytic value, which is why it is recommended for the old and sick. However, apart from using coconut water as a cure for dehydration and problems like heartburn and low immunity, it can be used to prevent many health problems. Coconut water during pregnancy can be used to prevent all the health problems which occur during pregnancy like UTI and heartburn, and also replenish the body electrolytic level and boost immunity which will help to keep the baby and the mother healthy.
So, pregnant women should drink coconut water on a daily basis to gain all the above mentioned health benefits. Coconut water during pregnancy is also recommended to be mixed with sugar, saffron or turmeric. The white flesh of coconut can also be consumed, and is considered healthy for the mother and fetus as well.